Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Trip to Russia (part 1)

Hello my dear readers, I'm back to blogging, after a little break.

I have thought of writing sooner, but I didn't have many things to say really, and when I did, I said everything in form of long emails to my mum, or conversations with my boyfriend.

As some of you know (that follow me on the social networks), I spent the last 3 weeks in Russia, visiting my boyfriend.
I wish I could say that it was all fun and stuff, but I'm afraid it's a little bit more complicated than that.

I haven't been feeling very well (physically and mentally) for a big while now. I thought that this trip would fix everything. But one trip cannot fix everything, when usually this "everything" is in your head. Or in this case, my head.

I don't even know where to start with this, so bear with me as we all try to make sense.
In those 3 weeks I got to understand my boyfriend and his feelings about Russia, a lot better than I used to.
I used to assume things, and this time I stopped assuming and actually opened my eyes and took a good look.

I can't say I had a lot of fun when we went out, because people in than town are not used to seeing people that look different. I have a few piercings in my face, and pink and lilac hair, and I dress mostly in black.
My boyfriend has many tattoos and a shaved head, a long beard and a few piercings in his ear & face. So people go crazy, they yell, they take pictures of us, they say things they think we won't hear, but we do.

So all in all, it's not a very pleasant experience to go outside. I used to think it was nothing, that my boyfriend was very sensitive, and was taking things the wrong way. But I got to experience this whole thing very well, when we went to the zoo. And when we took a walk to the local mall with friends.
Not very pleasant experiences either. It's like this every time. People are extremely rude and it's very annoying. At the end of the final week of my stay, I didn't want to leave the house! I understood completely why my boyfriend doesn't leave the house, only when it's necessary.

Now I don't want to monopolize this post with just the impact a different style was to the locals, so I'll stop here.

We had friends over to the house often, so that was cool, we had lots of fun this way, and I really liked it. Even if I don't speak Russian, I understand a little bit and my boyfriend translates, so it's not always boring :p
I actually had a good time. Even better when I had a few drinks.

Also, the food was nice, since my boyfriend cooks really well, and I enjoy all the traditional Russian recipes he makes for me. And when we ate out, it was ok too, I have no complaints about that. It was the 3rd time I visited Russia, and every time I eat a lot :D

One night, it was the Orthodox Good Friday night, we went to this Irish Pub that had just opened, and it was hilarious. It's not everyday that you see a pub in that country, so being in a place that looks like this, was pretty funny. There was a ska-punk gig happening that night, and that was cool.
I wish I had pictures of that, but my phone camera doesn't have flash, and I don't know how this is even possible, maybe it's broken or maybe I can't find that function.
So no dark pictures for me.

Now that I think about that, and about everything about this trip, I can't help it but feel like something was missing.
I think that's what has been bothering me the entire time. There was something, but I couldn't pin point it exactly. Now I know that it was that feeling, of something missing.
This is not nice though, and I'm sure I don't even want to know what was missing :/

No comments: