Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Contemporary Vampire Films. Hmm...

I have a bone to pick with a few films, and that's why I'm posting this.
I know I haven't written anything other than personal thoughts and sad rants here for a while, and I think this is definitely worth the effort.

So let's take things step by step.

First I'd like to say that I am a huge cinema & literature fan. I have watched many films, from many different genres and I have read many books, classic and modern literature of many genres. Therefore let's assume for a minute for argument's sake that I have a broad perspective and knowledge (since I've spent all my childhood and teenage years as a fucking pathetic bookworm).

Second, I am a huge vampire fan, and a fan of the supernatural as well. Although I don't go off in the woods at night trying to find ghosts, ufo's, werewolves, and I don't pray a vampire falls in love with me and bites me and lives happily ever after with me, I still love films & literature related to supernatural. It's not the only thing I love, but it's one of my favorites. (Disclaimer: I am NOT a fan of Twilight. This is important to clarify. When I say vampires, I mean vampires. Not 16year old sparkly fashions. I don't mean to offend anyone, just to make things clear.)


Those things being said, I will try to explain the bone I have to pick with the recent film Underworld:Awakening.

To keep it short, I'll stick to the basics:

Why on earth did they make the vampires so human? Vampires have great strength, speed, stamina, etc etc, that's part of the whole contemporary myth (emphasis on contemporary, people). However in this film, we can see Kate Beckinsale jump and run around, but when she fights, she fights.... moderate. I wanted to say "like a girl" but then I remembered a few scenes (2-3 come to mind) that she's actually descent. But that's it :/ And let's not forget the rest of the vampires, they fight like little girls. Where did the vampire strength go? They are supposed to be able to see perfectly in the dark, hear everything, they don't have to breathe, etc etc etc, but NO in this film, they are like a bunch of scared kids with guns. Useless and pathetic. I don't know if everyone has already watched this, so I can't say specifically WHERE those inconsistencies are, because well, SPOILER. But if you've watched it, I guess (and pray) you have noticed it too.
Basically what my problem is that the writers should have considered what it means to have vampires in your movie. It's not regular folks, it's vampires godammit, ancient blood thirsty creatures  that can and will rip your chest open just for the thrill of it. THAT'S  what the movie was lacking. The vampire touch.

Other than that, it was ok.
I dare to say that I expected more though.
It is disappointing to look back to films like "Underworld I", "Blade I", even "Dracula 2000", and although there didn't have the great special effects, the technology we have now, they were not about the original story of vampires like Nosferatu, Count Dracula, blah blah blah, they still had that SOMETHING, that essence of the vampire. Their atmosphere had that melancholy, that little extra, that makes you remember a movie forever, and it doesn't matter how old it is, because every time you see it, it's like seeing it for the first time.

I know people might not agree with me, and it's fine. I'm not saying that my opinion is the right one, it may not be. It's just my opinion, it's the way I feel about this film, and about other films as well. This post is dedicated to Underworld:awakening though, but I am thinking of doing more posts in the future about every film, book, genre, or subculture that I like or dislike.
It might be interesting!

2 comments:

NellieVaughn said...

That's funny. I am big into vampire folklore, and was thinking about writing a blog about how disappointed I am with film and literature for having turned vampires into a massive joke.

~Danni~ said...

You should definitely write about it!!! I'd love to read it!!!!!!!!! I like the way you write very much, so on a topic like that, I'll really enjoy it :D